High Treason and the MUNI Caper

A week last Friday (is that right?), I went for a drink after work with my boss and a colleague of ours from the School of Nursing and Health Professions. It’s always an adventure to go drinking with your boss. Today, I share his take on the night. Welcome guest blogger, Robert.

High Treason and the MUNI Caper

Last Friday evening, Beth and I had drinks at the 11-month old wine bar, High Treason (443 Clement) with Scott. Scott is the SONHP’s Associate Dean for Undergraduate & Pre-Licensure Programs. Scott wanted to thank Beth and me for helping he and the SONHP through a particularly knotty VA issue. We had a great time at conversation about work and non-work matters. Good laughs all round. Scott had a Belgian beer, which he thoroughly enjoyed. Beth had a red wine (name escapes me), which she also enjoyed. I had a German red wine (Schneider something, something, something), which was really good. Unlike Scott and Beth, I could not finish my glass – I can only drink so much. But I really enjoyed the wine. And before we knew it two hours had flown by and it was time for us to head home.

After Beth dropped Scott at the Koret parking garage (she drove us in her shiny new Subaru), she then decided to drop me off at the N Judah station.

Well, Beth took me on a little MUNI adventure. Firstly, she inadvertently missed a turn, which resulted in her having to drive somewhat in the opposite direction of the N Judah. But she knew the neighborhood enough to take a few side streets to get us back on route.

Secondly, as she approached our intended station, a train was pulling out. So Beth decided to race ahead of the train to the next station, weaving around cars, turning down steep side streets, and then driving her new car across the tracks to block the train from leaving the next station. Well, maybe the full length of her car didn’t straddle the train tracks. But the boot did. So, I quickly unbuckled my seat belt, flung open the car door, dashed toward the train, making it through the door as it was closing. The motorman said over the intercom, “step up, step up.”

Thirdly, and shortly after the train pulled out of the station, we slowed to a crawl and then stopped. After about 5 minutes, the motorman announced that there was a disabled train ahead of ours, and asked our patience. We inched a few feet forward and then stopped, again. The motorman got off the train and walked toward the train ahead of ours. After about another 5 or so minutes, the motorman returned and recommended that we disembark from the train and walk toward Duboce Park (at least I think that’s what he said) to catch alternate transit. I then asked him where exactly should I go to catch another train or bus to the Embarcadero? The motorman simply said that I should follow the people walking ahead of me. And so I did. Not knowing where I was, I thought about taking Uber home. But I kept following my fellow passengers, walking along the tracks, past three trains. I think we walked for at least 10 minutes, me wondering all the while about possible oncoming/outbound trains – but none came. The train at the forefront of the inbound trains slowly rolled passed us and a number of my fellow passengers ran toward it. I followed suit and we were all able to board the train. Finally, I was on my way home. I texted Beth immediately to let her know about my N Judah caper. I confess that it was a little exciting and, before I knew it, I was returned to civilization.

All in all, an exciting evening. High Treason and the Muni caper.


What makes his story so funny for me, and probably for Scott, too, is we both encouraged Robert to take the train instead of the 38 Geary, which had been his plan. I said, “Robert, I’ll just drop you at the N-Judah. Way faster then the bus. Trust me.” Talking with Robert in the car distracted me and I drove on auto-pilot towards home, though I intended to drop him in Cole Valley. Needless to say, Robert was appropriately perplexed as to how the train would be faster since I was driving west and he lived east! Poor Robert! I did, indeed, take him on a bit of a wild ride to catch the train, only for those efforts to be foiled. It was pretty funny getting text updates from him as he attempted to make his way home via the “faster” way! He’ll never trust me again!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s